Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Foodtruck Escapade 2: Hungry Rover

Food trucks are a new food trend here in the Philippines but it's not so much of a surprise that they are already popular with foodies.

I mean, it's fast food, Starbucks and just plain satisfaction rolled into trucks!
You order, they call out your name (the Starbucks part), you go get your food and enjoy it.

Last week, we went to Capitol Commons in Ortigas to experience what all the fuss is about. And I'll tell you, we were not disappointed.

Not only were there food trucks everywhere (this made it hard for us to decide which ones to choose), but there was also good music and good ambiance. Throw in good company and the venue was a complete haven. It was a picnic (literally).

When we split up to order, I quickly recognize this one food truck where people are lining up. So I go tell my friends that I'll "take" this one.  



HUNGRY ROVER


Boy, was I right (and a bit proud) of my decision.






The menu itself is overwhelming. I mean, I didn't know that food trucks serve Angus Beef. That's kinda like a fine restaurant stuff, right?






photo from hungry rover


I was gonna order some Fireballs (one of their best sellers, P200) but sadly, they were already sold out. :(
So I went with Angus Beef Tapa (P150). Don't let the price fool you, it's actually quite reasonable. It's Angus beef and you won't even have a problem with the serving size. All so sulit.



Angus Beef Tapa
The king of all Tapas

Can you look at that and tell me you don't want to try it?






It's so good without any exaggeration whatsoever. The beef melts in your mouth (I swear) with just the right seasoning! It's Tapantastic! (I knew I had to create a word to describe it eventually)


We are not done with our Hungry Rover escapade yet.

We got the chance to interview the guy behind Hungry Rover (who coincidentally is also the organizer of the event), Mr. Romeo Nacpil, Jr. 

MFJ: Where are the other foodtrucks located? 
Mr. Romeo Nacpil, Jr. : This is the first time we organized Food Truck Park PH here in Capitol Commons. We all belong to the Metro Manila Food Trucks Association of the Philippines. We're here Tuesdays to Sundays. Usually, Fridays we're complete, but today four food trucks have some events to attend to in La Union.

MFJ: When did you decide to collect all the food trucks and stay in one place? Why Capitol Commons?
Mr. Romeo Nacpil, Jr,: We want to promote food trucks and we want to stay away from food bazaars and night markets, there are so many food choices and the tendency is food trucks became an attraction to some. Separate industry from food bazaars.  It's like a joint project with Capitol Commons since, Capitol Commons is a big place and it's newly opened so we collaborated with them and they liked the Food Trucks concept. 

He was kind enough to give us another one of their best sellers, THE Turkey Pepper Steak, on the house. (P170)




Turkey Pepper Steak
A  forget-chicken-for-a-little-while-cause-I'm-awesome kinda bird





It pains me so much to look at it and... 

I just totally lost my train of thought.


Don't you just hate it when you order chicken or whatever poultry and it's just so dry you wanna throw it in a pond to hydrate it?

Well then you can leave the pond alone cause you'll have no problems with this turkey!

It's so tender and juicy and is seriously making me crave for it more right now. If you like it a bit peppery like I do, then there's no contest that you'll like this. The sauce has this balance of sweetness and tanginess that doesn't overwhelm the taste of the turkey itself. It's Yin and Yang. 


I'm no chef, but I know a good food when I taste it. And, dear readers, this is good food.




Food Junky
Marnelli Gaerlan




For more details on Hungry Rover's whereabouts, click here.

To know the schedules of the food truck park, click here.

1 comment:

  1. quickly recognize this one food truck where people are lining up. So I go tell my friends that I'll "take" this one. Food Truck Catering

    ReplyDelete